Paleo Lemon Cake with Coconut Butter Glaze
If you like the taste of lemon, this is for you, it is very ease and rather delicious. My tip here is just make sure you really sift and blend flours together before adding to the liquid mixture.
Preheat oven to 180deg C and line a loaf tin.
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, for glaze
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, for glaze
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice for glaze
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the coconut oil, maple syrup, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add the coconut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Transfer to prepared loaf tin. Bake for 40 mins or until a toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean
- Cool completely before glazing.
- In a small bowl mix together the coconut butter, maple syrup and lemon juice for the glaze. I placed the bowl over hot water and this brought it together nicely.
- Spread on cake.
Coconut butter is very easy to make if you have a high powered blender or can be bought premade.
Here is the recipe from my Quirky Cooking book by Jo Whitton
- Place 400g desiccated coconut into high powered blender. Process for at least 2 minutes scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil very slowly for another minute gradually increasing speed until you have achieved a smooth consistency.
- Store in jar, will go solid when kept in fridge.